October 24, 2017

Making Your Burdens Lighter: Doing All Things Through Christ

Thank you Kristen for sharing. I loved these thoughts and ideas on building our relationship with the Savior. I look forward to sharing more articles written by anyone who has an uplifting message to share! 



Making Your Burdens Lighter: Doing All Things Through Christ 
by Kirsten Metcalf

“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

You probably know this scripture verse found in Philippians 4:13. You’ve probably said it a few times. You may even say it every time you’re going through something difficult.

But what does the phrase “I can do all things through Christ” really mean? Have you ever wondered, “Can Jesus really strengthen me? Will my problems really be made lighter through Him?”

The answer to both of those questions is yes. No matter what challenge or trial you face—whether it’s going through a divorce or dealing with financial struggles—you never have to face it alone. Jesus has promised that if you come to Him, He will be with and strengthen you through your trials. “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).

So how do you come unto Jesus? You learn of Him. You ask for His help. You try to be like Him.

Learn of Jesus

The best way to learn about Jesus is to study about His life and teachings in the scriptures. The scriptures are filled with stories about His birth, ministry, death, and resurrection, as well as testimonies of Him.

Ask Jesus for Help

When Jesus asks you to “take my yoke upon you” He wants you to rely on Him, but He also wants the two of you to work and pull together, like two animals yoked together do. A wooden yoke cuts the weight of the load the animals are pulling in half. While you may feel like a small, weak pony compared to a mighty thoroughbred, if you trust in and ask Jesus for His help, and do your part, He will stand by your side. He will share the weight of your burden and help you pull through it.


In most cases, Jesus doesn’t immediately take your burden away. Making your burdens light doesn’t mean He simply takes away every trial you face. But He will give you the capacity and strength to get through it and to make it lighter and easier to endure.

Be Like Jesus

There is no other perfect example to follow than Jesus. If you really want to come unto Jesus, and make your burdens light, you need to become like Jesus. This isn’t a one-time thing. Becoming like Jesus is a lifelong process. But each day you can try to become more like Jesus by living as He lived. You can be a little kinder. You can be more patient. You can practice humility. You can serve others.

When you rely on Jesus and believe that you can do all things through Him, your burdens will be made lighter.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Hello
I'm from Belgium, on the other side on Earth.
I'm sorry for my poor english, but there are some thoughts I would like to share with you tonight. Here they are.
I really enjoy reading your post as they bring me to see things through a different point of view. A peaceful one. A spiritual one.
I went through my own hardships, and sometimes I really struggle to remember why I need to stay on earth. But your post help me to understand that with faith and hope, with love and patience, I'll find a way to meet our Father and He will take care of me and my oh so sweet stepfamily, kids and man.
Tonight is a quite sad evening for me. Alone back home, after a hard and meaningless day at work...
I just hope I'll get a few hours of rest to forget all those doubts and questionings I fell inside...
and wake up tomorrow on a new luminous automnal day, to spend with my sweet man and two of our four kids (mine being abroad with their father this week) and feel grateful for all I am and have been given, instead of upset about everything I'll never be or have.

I pray more regularly, thanks to your blog. And I can feel so much love and peace running through me by doing this.

Well, I guess I actually would like to thank YOU for bringing this spirituality back in my life.

Hope you and your family will keep on being happy!

Sincerely yours

Ashlee said...

Lucy, Your comment makes me so happy! I am so happy you have been finding your relationship with God again. I know it will make all the difference. Thanks for saying Hi!!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs