May 4, 2016

A letter to the man who told my parents I wasn't worth keeping

I am loving this week of powerhouse stories of amazing women and moms to celebrate Mother's Day!

(To protect the doctor this letter was written to, the name has been changed...)


Dear Dr. Johnson,

My name is Abby and I am the daughter of the distraught parents who came to you twenty some years ago. My mom was carrying a baby who might have had some health issues.You advised them to have an abortion because the baby was going to have so many problems.

That baby was me.


Before you read any further, I just want you to know I am writing you to tell you that I have no animosity towards you. I can not imagine what it is like to have to tell parents about their sick baby that is soon to be born. I bet it is very upsetting to do so. 

While I had many strugglesthat you projected I wouldI have lead a full life. I am a very positive, determined woman. In high school, I was very involved and even won Homecoming and Prom royalty junior and senior year. I had lots of amazing friends. 

I feel very fortunate. Currently I am enrolled at the University of Montana pursuing a degree in education. I love working with kids and can not wait to make a difference in this world.

Last semester I earned a 3.57 GPA. I was pretty excited! I also have a job at a local daycare in town. I love working there! I have had many blessings that I am thankful for. My biggest support system is my family; my parents and my siblings.They have been there since day one and have never given up on me. 

I am so thankful for a mom who had faith not only in herself to raise an imperfect child . . . but could still see the good in me.

I am a big believer in God and felt that He wanted me to write you to and tell you that I have forgiven you. I am so grateful for the doctors that have helped through the years and think you guys do amazing work. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I just needed to let you know that I have forgiven you! 
-Abby






Related articles: Dear Trauma


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs